Saturday, March 8, 2008

All Request Evening

I just started a new job at a seniors home. It is just temporary position but I sensed the Lord saying "He was going to open an door in a place I wouldn't have expected and that it would be preparation for something in the future"
Ya...So this is pretty much the last place in the world I would have looked for work and here I am!

The position is grueling in many ways with so many details to remember and lots of physical labour - however the residents are terrific and I believe there is a greater purpose. It is surprising to me that the elderly would be afraid of dying - but I run into that frequently. If there is opportunity to whisper in each persons ear the gospel in some form I will do it!

One of the Alzheimer patients loves to sing and usually at the top of her lungs - She always asks me for a song time and again - I have to be ready with a tune. (We make it an "all request Evening") I use the opportunity to think of a hymn or christian song like "Jesus Loves Me"
You can actually feel a peace come over the dining hall - Gods presence is so sweet. Last week a man belted out a song and we didn't even think he spoke any more. Surprised us all.

One night, one the residents said "where do I go - where do I go now?" Then she turned and looked back at me with a perplexed look and said "Did I get there?"

(This amuses me --- because I wonder if that is what midlife crisis feels like).

I'm not sure why I am at this job or for how long but it has been a lot of laughs and good for the soul! The above picture is me with my Gramma!

No comments: