Saturday, December 1, 2007

Be still

I have been doing some deep thinking lately. Examining my heart. Sorting through some old memories. Some that need to be tossed out - some that need to be remembered vividly. Sometimes the old painful memories seem to fog over the good times - so I am sorting, analyzing and deleting.

I question myself - why is it that my heart never wants what God wants? So much pain could have been spared by stopping and asking for directions along the path and by recognizing the warning signs!

But by looking back over my shoulder now, l may turn into a pillar of salt and be rendered useless for the present. Perhaps the lesson is -- to see Gods compassion and mercy despite my stupidity and to Jesus as a horse whisper - kneeling on one knee waiting for me to come to the end of myself and when I have calmed down -- He slowly walks over with the intent of restoration.

The Bible verse "Be still and know that I am God" fascinates me. The word "still" means to let go, to surrender or to release. The word "know" translates to mend by weaving or darning - like a fishermen would mend his nets - to mend as good as new. The Lord promises that he will bind up the wounds of the broken hearted - if I would just be still.

No comments: