Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My Favorite Painting -- Titled: Relationships

This is my favorite painting - hands down! It has been my most criticized piece for sure - but I still love it the best!

I like it because it makes me think of so many things and my imagination can just run free!

At the time I was painting it, I was stuck in a rut of perfectionism trying to make everything look perfectly real and I just wanted to paint for the sake of painting. Just to play with colours and see if they work well together.

As the painting began to take shape, I was considering relationships, mankind, the human race and how we have interacted and intermixed over time.

When you look at this piece for a length of time, you will see movement. (maybe its just my lazy eye) Some of the colours seem to interact, mingle and dance, some colours attract each other -- others repel. Some colours push their way to the front -- others recede as if there is a struggle for power.

Its not that I think my workmanship is so grand - I try my best to give God all the glory - to me this represents the freedom to overcome perfectionism and if that's why I have painted this artwork then is job has been accomplished.

No comments: